Thursday, December 01, 2005

Bridge & Blocks


There used to be Ankerstein sets with metal bridge parts, and I hope someday the new company restores bridge elements to the product line.

I've given some thought on and off to adding bridge spans to my Unit Block emulations of Anker structures from the time of my first such efforts.

One of my ideas was using Brio Builder (like oversized erector sets of wood) to make a bridge. Unfortunately, I have real head problems about rummaging about in the attic. But I managed to overcome that for the Legos, and after a few days, went back for the Brio.

Between what was in the attic, and some more I got with money from some train stuff I had on consignment, I think I managed to make a passable looking bridge, even it if may be a bit big for the blocks.

I hope to follow up eventually with more substantial abutments, with more involved block building, but in the meantime, I am happy to know there is at least one bridge solution for these blocks.

And working with the Brio is very nice as well.

1 comment:

Alan said...

One of the big advantages that Brio Builder has for me is the press-in connectors, instead of nuts and bolts.

Whether the nuts and bolts are wood, plastic, or metal, screwing can be fun, but I find that it is much easier for me to kep track of the proper sequence of building and positioning or parts without the screwing, which seems to screw up my head.

One of the characteristics of autism is difficulty with transitions, and in building with construction toys, the transition between identifying/positioning and screwing adds enough complexity to often be a problem.

This is probably also true in some degree for many kids without developmental disabilities.

The Brio sets do have some nuts and bolts and appropriate tools, so kids don't miss that learning experience, but they are only used for limited application. Most connections - and all the connections in this bridge -- are with double ended press-in connectors (for which a special removal plier is provided if ones fingers aren't up to the task).