Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Wedgits Challenge.

A great deal of the charm in Wedgits is the challenge factor of working out how to build something, both in terms of the puzzle of what goes there and in working out the manipulations to get it all in place. Hence my fondness for the card decks and booklets.

This particular design, d-15 from the 100 Advanced Design Cards, I thought for several years was not possible.

I finally figured the trick out a couple of days ago, but couldn't complete the construction in Mini Wedgits without having it collapse. Today I tried with standard size Wedgits. Didn't do much better until I finally built it as shown, omitting the cosmetic octagons in the middle.

Without those, I still used 8 small octagons, one more than the card shows, so with them my version needs two more octagons than the set includes and either someone a whole lot steadier than me or something tacky keeping some Wedgits from sliding around, Maybe both.

My point? That even if Wedgits at the basic level are very easy (yet still very much fun and therapeutic), at the advanced level they can provide both mental and physical difficulty to challenge most anybody.

Even if this one is perhaps a little too challenging in both regards, it thereby delivers a very satisfactory message.

Wedgits are good puzzle play as well as good block play.

-=-

An article in today's paper about pending FTC policies requiring bloggers to disclose if they have received anything of value from vendors has gotten me thinking about I how to handle it. I have occasionally received samples from vendors, and Wedgits are an example.

Most of what I have posted here has been purchased by myself, or borrowed from friends. What I have received has been of comparatively small value compared to the amount I have spent, and at least some of it has been identified as expression of gratitude for other non-blog activities.

If this has influenced my posting, it has been toward posting about something I would not have at all or as soon, due to cash-flow limitations - I cannot afford to buy everything even if my wife let me.

Getting samples of the parts that distinguish a special set, so that I can try them out with my own standard parts, rather than buying the whole set which mostly duplicates what I have, seems to make sense from a reporting viewpoint, and benefits the reader trying to choose between alternatives.

I have avoided making too much of a deal out of such freebies partly out of a desire to not see vendors flooded with requests. Maybe I am wrong and those vendors would rather see lots of folks blogging their products, and would be happy to be receive more requests. I am often wrong.

As for what I have to say about something, with things I like, I think I tend to be a little more enthusiastic about stuff I have bought and a little more restrained about freebies. If my reaction tilts negative, I am more likely to post if I have bought it, and more likely to just say nothing about a freebie.

So ... I will keep attempting to refine my disclosure policy to meet readers; needs and satisfy FTC requirements as they develop.

No polliwogs were teased in the making of this entertainment product.

No comments: