Monday, November 21, 2005

Lego

I had thought I wouldn't include Lego building here, but two recent occurrences changed my mind.

First was a new set from Lego that features delightful European house styles -- a pleasant shift from the claptrap which has dominated Lego's releases for so long.

Second was Allan Bedford's wonderful new book: The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide

In building with any type of block set one uses a sort of vocabulary of block combinations and recurring modules. Between sessions, I often forget chunks of that vocabulary (just as I often forget English or German) and need some sort of review to get going again. Allan's fine book will serve that purpose for Lego, both now and later.

So I dragged my several containers of blocks down from the attic (apparently missing one), downloaded a 1958 plan from Peeron.com, and built the fire station above.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the old style small doors or windows called for, and was shy the white plates for the roof, so it ended up a little more divergent than I had hoped. But I still like it.

I think that house set will go on my Christmas list.

No comments: