Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Heinzelmännchen

Ja, I know this blog is supposed to be about the blocks, not the scenery, but I rather like this image even if the Ankerstein structure is out of focus. The ship was moving briskly along, so I didn't have much time for focus experiments. I prefer this image, with the ship in focus and the structure not, over vice versa. There are more pictures of the structure below, and they are in focus.

It isn't even the structure I started out to build, which was supposed to be ASC-H14. I actually did build it (though from the composite PDF), as shown at right, but had some pieces left over, so I couldn't help but seeing what I could do with them.

This may turn out to be the most important advantage of having the smaller sets, rather than extracting the pieces from the larger sets: One can tweak and modify within a more constrained set of options, rather than being overwhelmed by the larger number and variety of stones in the larger sets. The Heinzelmännchen is the smallest currently available set with the large blocks, and the new includes some that aren't in the 6 or 6A. (They aren't used in the classic plans for this set, but are used in some of the new developments, such as this one.)

The result of my tweaking is at left, as well as in the title photo. Most of the credit should go to William Seppeler, for the original design. A strong supporting credit should also go to The Toyhouse, who came through with the Heinzelmännchen set with the great service I have come to expect.

And just for fun, the image at right shows my work area for this project, on an upper level of Richmond Beach Saltwater Park. I have been enjoying this park for about forty years, mostly down along the beach and the railroad tracks (it was the Great Northern Railway in the beginning, became Burlington Northern, and is now BNSF). It is a kick having a new way to enjoy it "uphill."

Good block play.